High-Speed helix CT Scanner
Phoenix Speed|scan CT64
Automotive manufacturers must consistently produce high-quality parts and products while operating at maximum productivity. High resolution, high speed, full 3D inspection for castings and batteries via in-line automation is required to ensure both safety and profitability. This goal is now attainable thanks to the Phoenix Speed|scan CT64, a gantry-based, inline industrial CT scanner.
Built on innovative Waygate Technologies, formerly GE Inspection Technologies, gantry-based CT technology proven for over four decades, our Speed|scan CT64 provides revolutionary high-speed industrial process and production control. Combining unprecedented speed with high-quality inspection, Speed|scan CT64 is 4x faster than initial generations and several hundred times faster than conventional industrial fan-beam CT systems. Optionally equipped with a robot, the Speed|scan CT64 system offers unique process optimization and quality assurance possibilities for up to 100% fully automated inline CT scanning.
Ensuring safety and protecting manufacturing profits with revolutionary quality inspection:
- Full 3D evaluation: failures and geometries
- Inline, fully automated
We used to be GE Inspection Technologies, now we’re Waygate Technologies, a global leader in NDT solutions with more than 125 years of experience in ensuring quality, safety and productivity.
Phoenix Speed|scan CT64 - Key Features
- Maximum sample size ~600 mm diameter x 900 mm length (23.6” x 35.4”)
- Maximum scan diameter ~500 mm (19.6”)
- Maximum detail detectability is ≥ 300 μm.
- Maximum sample weight is 50 kg / 110 lbs.
- Powerful x-ray source, with highly sensitive multi-line x-ray detector and single collimated photodiodes
- Patented quick-slide manipulator for rapid sample throughput rate
- Scan speeds of 15 seconds for a cylinder head; up to several hundred times faster 3D inspection over conventional industrial fan-beam
- Proven technology (several thousand installations) that meets stringent industry standards
Gantry-based industrial CT technology
With our industrial Phoenix Speed|scan CT64 system, proven medical gantry based CT technology is available for revolutionary high-speed at-line or inline process control in the industry. The sample is being transported through the tomograph and even cylinder heads can be scanned in as little as 15 seconds.
This is about 4x faster than the first Speed|scan generation and several hundred times faster than conventional industrial fan-beam CT systems.
While the next part is being loaded, the reconstructed CT data is automatically evaluated. By fast scanning of dozens of parts, quantitative production-quality data is now available, allowing immediate adjustment of the production process parameters, which have in the past been out of reach of conventional industrial fan-beam CT systems.
Advanced helix CT
Since CT of large castings with conventional industrial fan beam CT typically takes hours, this approach is not suitable for inspections that take place parallel to the production cycle time.
With helix multi-line technology, the workpieces are continuously scanned and automatically inspected with our own 3D Speed|ADR evaluation algorithms.
To ensure the desired image quality with short measuring times and low scattering artifacts, the speed|scan CT64 is equipped with a high-performance X-ray tube and a highly sensitive multiline detector acquiring up to 64 detector rows of scanning data during every gantry rotation.
3D evaluation parallel to the scanning process
Three-dimensional analysis and process monitoring using volumetric data offer several advantages compared with a conventional radioscopic 2D inspection. Depending on the sample size and X-ray penetration length, an immediate response to processing parameters may directly lead to increased productivity:
- Reducing the reject rate by analyzing the 3D position, form, and size of the defects taking into account the subsequent processes the products must undergo
- Depending on their size and absorption behavior, foreign materials like inclusions or sand core remains in castings, batteries or composite delaminations may be detected, located, and classified according to its density and position
- Checking the scanned workpiece geometry for anomalies by using the nominal CAD data ensuring that form and size deviations can be identified at an early stage of the production process.
Fully automatic non-destructive 3D testing and measuring
Especially for quality assurance of functional and safety-relevant automotive and aviation composite parts or aluminum castings, speed|scan makes it possible to perform a 100% 3D inspection for the first time. The 3 key game changers in industrial quality assurance with the advanced Phoenix Speed|scan CT system are:
- Exact 3D defect location & classification
- Dimensional control e.g. analysis of internal wall thickness
- Actual to CAD data comparison
3D automated defect recognition (3D Speed|ADR)
By combining the leading Volume Graphics industrial batch CT software with the powerful Speed|ADR algorithms, you can achieve highly precise quantitative 3D information for industrial mass production process control and optimization.
- Production-oriented workflow approach optimized for throughput and part diversity
- Proprietary speed-optimized 3D volume analysis and defect detection
- Customizable user interface and visualization including 3D defect result table
Phoenix Speed|scan CT64 Videos
Waygate Technologies | AutoCT Radiography Inspection with CT
See how you can consistently produce top-quality parts on your high-speed production line with automated non-destructive testing systems from Waygate Technologies. The Phoenix Speed|scan CT 64 high speed, full 3D inspection CT scanner can be integrated in-line with your production line, helping you ensure both safety and profitability. Now 4X faster than initial generations and several hundred times faster than conventional industrial fan-beam CT.
Waygate Technologies | Premium CT
Discover even the most minute defects for total confidence in your product quality, without slowing processes down. Innovative PremiumCT systems from Waygate Technologies feature proprietary CT technologies for 3D metrology and analysis. Giving you the highest image quality at faster speeds than ever before possible.
What software is available for the Speed|scan CT64?
- Designer for creating and modifying 3D inspection programs on- or offline
- Inspector for semi- or fully automated CT data analysis based on inspection programs
- VG Approver for visualization and review of automated inspection results
Automated DICOM image transfer to analysis station. CT visualization and evaluation:
- 3D detection and classification of pores and inclusions (Speed|ADR) combined with
Volume Graphics InLine CT software is exclusively available for VG customers using Waygate Technologies CT systems
- Dimensional control tasks like wall thickness determination and
- Actual/nominal CAD comparison (VG StudioMAX)
What type of radiation safety does the Speed|scan CT64 have?
The Speed|scan CT64 employs a radiation safety cabinet for full protective installation without type approval according to German StrSchV/StrSchG and in compliance with French NFC 74 100 and US Performance Standard 21 CFR Subchapter J. For operation, other official licenses may be necessary.
What type of detector does the Speed|scan CT64 use?
The Speed|scan CT64 from Waygate technologies uses a high dynamic multi-line detector (64-layer parallel acquisition). The detector embodies the patented HiLightTM material, a ceramic scintillator specially developed for CT applications providing detail detectability of ≥ 300 µm.
What is the maximum part dimension and weight I can inspect?
Scans are possible up to a sample dimension of Ø 600 mm x 900 mm (max. scan diameter ~500 mm) and up to 50 kilograms, depending on the application.